Especially if the desire is "to check if a particular program is running" /anywhere on the system/, then perhaps a change of perspective would be worthwhile. Consider....

Given: There is a pedestal being hosted at an event with possibly, a very large number of attendees. There is for marketing reasons, the desire to know the identity of the attendees that visited the pedestal.
Assumption: When asked to do so, an attendee will freely offer up the required information to identify themselves.

Which of the following approaches makes the most sense to handle the given problem?:

- At some time during the event, possibly multiple times, poll all of the attendees if they visited that pedestal, and obtain their details

- Ask each visitor to the pedestal to leave the desired information about themselves, such that there would be no requirement to poll all attendees at some later time

Although it was suggested that allocation of the program object itself may be a concern for at least recompile while active, there certainly is the option of locking any object associated with the application. Such an associated object could even be created by the /first/ invocation since the /last/ use of the application [which could have deleted the object]. Obtaining the list of of jobs with the active program would be known by listing the locks held on the object [by first creating and allocating the object exclusively when it does not exist]. Another option is logging each use, for which every entry logged since a known point-in-time of the application having been quiesced, indicates the list of potential jobs to review for the program being active; the log could be a journal for example, and CHGJRN *GEN to restart the app.

Regards, Chuck