From what I remeber, you have to use the field minus key to make it negative. Typeing the minus sign doesn't always work.

hth,

Dave B

"Jay Vaughn" <jayv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 02/12/08 12:59 PM >>>
ok, so i defined it 9y2 with edit code N...

when in debug i run the pgm and enter -111.13 into the screen field... but
when i look at the value in debug it shows it without the negative sign...
ex. WSNETGL = 0000111.13

Plus when this is put into the PF it doesn't have the negative sign
either...

Thanks,

Jay Vaughn
Senior I5 Programmer/Analyst
RateWatch
(P) 251.209.8968
www.rate-watch.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Booth Martin <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:59:05 -0600
Subject: Re: dspf field definition

Define your screen field as 9Y/2. "Y" seems to work better than "S"t,
in my experience but I can;t tell you why.

Users I've talked to seem to like the left side minus sign of EDTCDE('N') ?

Valid entries for display files

These entries are valid for display files.

Entry keyboard shifts Meaning Data type permitted
Blank Default
X Alphabetic only Character
A Alphanumeric shift Character
N Numeric shift Character or numeric
S Signed numeric Numeric
Y Numeric only Numeric
W Katakana (for Japan only) Character
I Inhibit keyboard entry Character or numeric
D Digits only Character or numeric
M Numeric only character Character

Jay Vaughn wrote:
I need to accept both +/- numeric data from a dspf field... how should
that
be defined? Any specific edit codes?

it is a 9,2 defined numeric field...