I know this is going to get shot down for not being RPG related but you need to use connection pooling. The pool manager can open an initial number of connections, monitor their health, and also limit the number of open connections. All application severs have this ability and there are third party pool managers as well.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Eric Lehti
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 3:24 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: connecting to System i with JDBC, vs. Wintouch (Touchtone Corp) connection

How to get excellent sub-second response time with a browser?

To James Lampert: I have wondered how users of the browser-based
Wintouch customer relationship management software can get the excellent
sub-second response time and can maintain a persistent connection to the
System i? Wintouch must connect with something other than JDBC? James?
What are you doing with Scott Klement's HTTPAPI?

Our Java programmers developed a CRM system that connects to our System
i via JDBC.
Subsystem QUSRWRK typically runs eight QZDASOINIT jobs for queries
originating from our web users, but on rare occasions QUSRWRK spawns
50-to-90 QZDASOINIT jobs, thus slowing down our System i. I would sure
like to connect to the System i with something better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Database_Connectivity JDBC (Java
database connectivity) is an API for the Java programming language that
defines how a client may access a database