Bruce Vining wrote:
If I recall correctly, Database support for Date, Time, and Timestamp
came out in V2R1.1. And, while Barbara would be the final authority,
I believe RPG support for these datatypes was in the initial ILE
release.

Exactly right. In V2R1.1, the OPM RPG compiler added "support" for dates in database files with its CVTOPT(*DATETIME). ILE RPG started out in its first release with all the formats currently supported for Date fields. For numeric and character date conversions, it added support for *CYMD in V3R2/V3R6. Then it added support for *CMDY, *CDMY and *LONGJUL in V4R2, at the same time as it started allowing century digits from 0 to 9 rather than the former 0 and 1, allowing *CYMD etc to cover up to 2899.

My understanding is that a big reason for the *CYMD etc dates is that people often defined their numeric date values as 7 digit packed (as you said in a later post, Bruce), so a date of March 15 1970 would be stored as MDY 0031570. In CMDY format, the leading zero means "20th century", allowing the field to be reinterpreted as a *CMDY value, without having to change any of the old data in the files.

I have no idea how many people took advantage of this.