For those familiar with /presumed fail/ versus /presumed success/ as methodologies and/or dealing with highly concurrent database applications, pre-check versus recover-on-error is given significant design consideration.

FWiW: Having started with the recover-on-error thinking, that code path is already covered. Having started the other way, the recover-on-error code is all too often omitted as an oversight.

I dread dealing with those who coded with the presumed-fail but failed to also code to recover-on-error, and /the error/ is sent by /my code/. The attitude often expressed... "It worked without error forever, and now it is failing with 'already exists' errors". Either they had always had concurrency established, but the system was for whatever reason not fast enough [method of submit, number of invocations, CPU speed, etc.] to exhibit the flaw in coding, or they only just started running the application concurrently. Just because /my code/ says /already exists/ does not make it a problem in my code.... But alas, it is easier to claim the error can not be in /their code/ because it has always worked without error. Ughhh! It must have been several hundreds of times I had to explain _that_, as the hardware has gotten significantly faster or when customers finally move off of their ten plus years old hardware.

Regards, Chuck