I have a file of items in inventory, surprisingly enough called INMAS. There are 10 logical files connected to this physical file. The primary method of accessing INMAS is through the item number. The item number is 10 digits long, however, it is broken into 5 2 digit fields (a long practice in the industry I'm in). As you might guess, some of the logical files allow access to the data via 1 or more of these item number subfields. Another way this file is accessed is via a OPC code (UPC code in other industries).

In a large number of programs, the users have the ability to access inventory items via either the item number or its OPC code. To support this function, we have the physical file and at least one logical file described in the program. We have any number of ways for dealing with the duplicate members and fields this creates.

The methods range from using internally defined files, data structures, and the rename and prefix options on the file spec.

My question, are there other, better, cleaner ways of dealing with issues like this?

The environment here ranges from RPG /free code with embedded SQL and some subprocedures to S/36 code written 20 years ago that paint screens using arrays and all the indicators in the book. There is no ILE really, no modules or service programs.

Kelley