Thanks for your reply Joe.
And yes - you are right, the 1500 is in relation to the number of records
being updated.
As to the reason why - like I said, there are approximately 100,000 of
these records that need to be updated.
Updating the record, changing the field from 'N' to 'X'.
This change sets off a slew of programs during the nightly workflow, so
much so that adding one more record to the number expands the processing
time of the nightly workflow horrendously, hence we don't want them ALL to
be changed, but just some of them (1500 was an arbitrary number)

Alan Shore

NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019
AShore@xxxxxxxx
"If you're going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

"Joe Pluta"
<joepluta@plutabr
others.com> To
Sent by: "'RPG programming on the AS400 /
rpg400-l-bounces@ iSeries'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
midrange.com cc

Subject
12/04/2007 04:48 RE: Update the first 1500 records
PM that need updating

Please respond to
RPG programming
on the AS400 /
iSeries
<rpg400-l@midrang
e.com>

I don't think this will work. First, I'm pretty sure that you can't have a
FETCH FIRST clause on an UPDATE statement. Second, if I read Alan's
request
correctly, he doesn't want to update the first 1500 records, he wants to
update the first 1500 records which match the condition (FIELDA = 'X').

For example, let's say half the records have FIELDA = 'X'. Your suggestion
would update (approximately) 750 records, since you are processing 1500 of
which only half meet the criteria. In this specific case, Alan would
actually need to process 3000 records in order to update 1500 records.

After looking at the situation carefully, I have to say I can't see any
easy
way to do it. Then again, I don't understand the "WHY" unless the issue is
simply to reduce the processing time.

Joe

From: Francis Lapeyre

Add FETCH FIRST 1500 ROWS ONLY to the statement.