Greg,

Couple other thought on this: What JDK are you running and is it compatible with the version of POI you're using. Also, how recent is the Java group on your system? Do you have multiple JDK's loaded? If so, are you using the one you think you are (typing JAVA *VERSION on the command line will tell what the JDK you're running)?

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Fleming, Greg (ED)
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 2:29 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Java error when updating existing Excel spreadsheets using HSSF

Thanks again Scott.

I'm at a loss, too.

I changed the monitor block as you indicated, and I also changed it from
"on-error 301" to "on-error", just to make sure it catches everything.
I ran it in debug and it stepped right through all the If..null..
statements. Again, the value of wwstr was 8 and the value of wwFile was
11. Then when I stepped into the "wwPOIFS=
new_POIFSFileSystem(wwFile);" line, it took longer this time, but it
still abended. The monitor block didn't even catch it. WDSC just
throws a "program terminated" message, and my iSeries job says it ended
abnormally.

I also had another idea. I don't know what the
hssf_begin_object_group() routine is for, but it was being called from
within the upddemo program just prior to the hssf_open() routine, and
then again at the beginning of the hssf_open() routine itself. Seemed
like that might have been redundant, so I commented out the one in the
upddemo program and recompiled. But I still got the same results, so I
guess that didn't mean anything.

I guess I'll go ahead and send you my input file offline as you suggest,
although I'm not very hopeful, since I'm now using the file created by
your program, so it ought to work.

If it works for you, I guess I'll just give up and implement our lame
workaround.

Thanks again for sticking with me this far. It must be frustrating that
the reward/punishment for sharing your excellent software with people is
to have folks like me pestering you to help us make it work for us.
Three years later.

Greg