Scott,

Some more hopefully useful info:

To eliminate the possibility that something might be wrong with my input
spreadsheet, and to verify that the POI 3.0 installation works OK, I
went ahead and compiled your xlcrtdemo program and ran it. It
successfully created the /tmp/xmldemo3.0.1.xls spreadsheet (SWEET !). I
then recompiled your upddemo program unmodified and ran it, and got the
same results as before.

Although I have noticed one other thing. When I had been running the old
version of your program, the error which java seems to throw into a
spooled file said "FATAL ERROR in native method: native code passed a
null object to a non-static method java.lang.Throwable" and the error
had been occurring at the line in hssf_open() " wwFile =
new_FileInputStream(wwStr);"

Ever since I installed the latest version, the error is occurring at the
next line: " wwPOIFS = new_POIFSFileSystem(wwFile);", and the text that
Java throws out is slightly different: " FATAL ERROR in native method:
Received NULL object reference java.lang.Throwable".

Don't know if that gives you anything to work with, but I hope so.

Thanks

Greg