Thanks, but I was already used to this from experience with SQL2XLS. So
I've been logging off and back on every time I do anything. Also tried
running in batch vs. interactive, which also seems to affect these HSSF
things strangely.

I did find another archive which mentioned an error in Scott's HSSF_Open
procedure, where wwFile was defined as being like jFileOutputStream when
it should be jFileInputStream. I fixed that, but still no joy.