On 25-Nov-07, at 1:00 PM, Joe Pluta wrote:

RPG program you could so your standard RPG syntax to the fields of the file,
but your CHAINs and so on would cause the C function to execute the
appropriate C APIs.

Actually CHAIN is a problem because it is currently not supported. One of a number of things I've asked to have added to the support.

Not likely to happen though I suspect, as people keep forgetting that they exist <grin - sorry couldn't resist Joe> and so they don't get the attention they deserve.

The issue of multiple files would also require some plumbing, right now you don't even get the file name passed as there is an assumption of one file one program. You have to use the extra parms facility for that and that means nasty PLISTs as SPECIAL hasn't even been updated to use Proto'd calls. If the "file" were bindable you could use globals but that's not supported either.

I really wish IBM would revisit the support in this area. It would be a great way to replace the UI with anything you wanted if only there was a bit more flexibility there.

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com