Hi Brian

Not sure - I work with a set of old utilities that need to be able to handle NULL-capable fields - have thought about SQL for that purpose.

He wants to pass some kind of reference to an opened file to another program - then work with it - this reference is available in C - dynamic SQL is almost too far from the metal - the underlying structures. The _RFILE reference is actually - sorry, Paul and Jon and Scott, if I get this a little or a lot wrong! - something like a pointer to all the stuff related to native IO - input and output buffers, feedback areas, etc. I've worked with them 4 or 5 years ago, and they do give you access to lots of things you normally don't need in RPG.

My recommendation is to write what he wants in an ILE C module and bind it into his app with procedure calls from ILE RPG.

Regards
Vern

At 05:51 AM 11/24/2007, you wrote:

>>What I meant is, is there a way to do something similar NATIVELY in ILE
>>RPG. Because the program is already using native RPG I/O on the files.

Would Dynamic SQL provide the flexibility you need?

Brian Parkins.