Hi Charles, Barbara,

I followed Barbara's advice and performed some testing over the weekend (a V5R2 shareware machine which was very quiet when I ran my tests).
I will outline the tests and display the results. You may be surprised by them - I certainly was.

Using the code posted by Barbara as a base I tested the following:
1) Passing a 1a literal to a 65535 varying parm (as posted by Barbara).
2) Passing a 65535a varying variable to a 65535 varying parm - variable length 100a.
3) Passing a 65535a varying variable to a 65535 varying parm - variable length 1000a.
4) Passing a 65535a varying variable to a 65535 varying parm - variable length 65535a.
The values displayed are the average call time over a 10000 loop and all tests were performed in the same run of the program. I ran the program 4 times to get a reasonable set of values.

The results are below (first column is value, second is const):

Passing the literal "a" (as per example)...
1596 ms 9 ms
1531 ms 8 ms
1543 ms 9 ms
1539 ms 9 ms

Passing a 65535a varying field with length 100...
1484 ms 8 ms
1483 ms 8 ms
1504 ms 8 ms
1486 ms 8 ms

Passing a 65535a varying field with length 1000...
1748 ms 8 ms
1682 ms 8 ms
1744 ms 8 ms
1680 ms 8 ms

Passing a 65535a varying field with length 65535...
2271 ms 8 ms
2211 ms 8 ms
2246 ms 8 ms
2219 ms 8 ms

Conclusions:
A) const is much faster than value.
B) Passing a 1a literal is actually more expensive than passing a 65535a variable with length <1000.
C) When passing by value the operation takes longer the more we fill the variable. Const seems to be unaffected.

Now, following from this I decided to test the common perception that using varying fields is faster than fixed-length fields. So I ran the same test for a 65535a field passed to a 65535a parm. The results are below:

Passing the literal _a_ for 65535a...
1963 ms 349 ms
1888 ms 337 ms
1928 ms 340 ms
1893 ms 337 ms

Passing a 65535a with 100a non-blanks filled...
1000 ms 8 ms
1009 ms 7 ms
1035 ms 8 ms
968 ms 7 ms

Passing a 65535a with 1000a non-blanks filled...
1046 ms 8 ms
971 ms 7 ms
984 ms 8 ms
967 ms 7 ms

Passing a 65535a with 65535a non-blanks filled...
967 ms 7 ms
966 ms 7 ms
967 ms 7 ms
967 ms 7 ms

Conclusions:
A) const is much faster than value.
B) Passing a 1a literal is more expensive than passing a 65535 variable with length <1000.
C) Passing the 1a literal to a fixed-length parm is more expensive than to a varying parm.
D) When passing a variable by value the fixed-length version was significantly faster (at least 30%) than the varying equivalent. In the case of passing a fully populated field the fixed-length version was more than twice as fast.
E) When passing by constant reference the fixed-length version was at least as fast as the varying version. In most cases it was faster.

Now, I can't draw any major conclusions here, but it is certainly interesting. I re-ran a few tests on my work V5R4 machine this morning (time permitting) and the gap between value and const was smaller. both were much faster than on the V5R2 machine.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

(I can post the code if anybody else wants to benchmark on their machine)

Cheers

Larry Ducie