Maybe this is an alternative for you.

hth,

Dave B

"Jay Vaughn" <jayv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 10/18/07 8:15 AM >>>
we are post v5r1 and do have qusrtools, but I don't see TZLSINFO or
SNDNSVMSG anywhere.

Thanks,

Jay Vaughn
Senior I5 Programmer/Analyst
RateWatch
(P) 251.633.8929
(F) 251.633.8929
www.rate-watch.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Liotta <qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:17:59 -0700
Subject: Re: i5 pop up window

Jay Vaughn wrote:
5. i5 pop up window (Jay Vaughn)

For our green-screen users, is there a way to custom program (via
rpgiv) a
way to have a window pop up on a users screen no matter what application
they are in that will provide reminder information to them. They
should be
able to continue working in whatever they are working in, but see the
popup
window. After a certain amount of time (or whatever condition), the
window
will automatically disappear.
We were even considering a simple clp with sndbrkmsg, but that would
really
be a little too rough around the edges.

Is there a way or will 3rd party software be required?

Would "3rd party" disqualify a solution? What if the "3rd party" is
Microsoft?

Assuming you're post-V5R1 and you have QUSRTOOL installed, you might
review the TZLSINFO tool for its SNDNSVMSG command. A review of the
source for that command reveals the QZLSMAINT API plus limited details
on how it can be used. (AFAIK, this is the only place any documentation
of usage exists. Also, it _might_ be available pre-V5R1, but I currently
have no way to check.)

In cases where STRPCCMD and/or RUNRMTCMD aren't useful, this API _might_
be of use. Note that all caveats related to the Windows messaging
service should be understood and addressed.

Tom Liotta