From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:17 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Alternatives for remote program call

How about RUNRMTCMD? Or the rexec() API? (which uses the same protocol, but has more capabilities). These are very simple ways to call a program over a netwokr...

will they work for you?

DeLong, Eric wrote:

I have the need to remotely call a program with full bi-directional parameter support. My first thought was to use SQL (Connect to xxx; CALL nnnnn (:p1, :p2, :p3)) to invoke this program, but as it turns out, that called program issues a SQL CONNECT TO. This is not allowed, it seems.....

I'm trying to consider alternatives, but so far I'm not finding much....

I was wondering if it would be possible to write a Java program that would use the Java Toolbox to remotely call my RPG. I am not very familliar with the Java Toolbox, so I'm not sure it it even supports bi-directional parameters. Has anyone done something like this?

Thanks for any ideas...
Eric