From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of albartell
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:04 PM
To: 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: Alternatives for remote program call

If cost wasn't an issue then there are vendor products you could employ with
MQSeries being the most standard.

I am assuming you need to pass parms in _and_ out correct?

Another thing you could do is setup a socket server on the remote machine
and listen for requests with a "router" RPG app that simply hands off data
structures to a keyed data queue where you have an RPG program waiting to
process the input, and appropriately send back output. Or you could just
make it easy on yourself and use Apache to do the same.

Scott just wrote a piece that came out in his newsletter today that is on my
"fun to read" list of articles that I haven't gotten to yet. Looks like it
is might be covering what I described above (i.e. home grown socket server).
http://www.systeminetwork.com/artarchive/newsletter/w/1001/n/5012/i/6830/a/5
5619/The_TCP_IP_Handoff_Server.html

This would actually be a really cool product to create and sell (i.e. RPG to
RPG communication across servers), though I don't know if there would be a
big market for it.

HTH,
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com