LOL Michael - thanks for taking the time to stem the tide of speculation here!

From: Michael Daly <mdaly@xxxxxxxxxx>

Vernon,

From the RPG Reference manual:

*HIVAL
Character, graphic, or UCS-2 fields: The highest collating character
for the system (hexadecimal FFs).
Numeric fields: The maximum value allowed for the corresponding field
(with a positive sign if applicable).
Float fields: *HIVAL for 4-byte float = 3.402 823 5E38 |(/x'7F7FFFFF'/)
*HIVAL for 8-byte float = 1.797 693 134 862 315 E308 |(/x'7FEFFFFFFFFFFFFF'/)

Date, time and timestamp fields: See Date Data Type, Time Data Type and
Timestamp Data Type for *HIVAL values for date, time, and timestamp data.

*LOVAL
Character, graphic, or UCS-2 fields: The lowest collating character for
the system (hexadecimal zeros).
Numeric fields: The minimum value allowed (with a negative sign if
applicable).

Float fields: *LOVAL for 4-byte float = -3.402 823 5E38 (/x'FF7FFFFF'/)
*LOVAL for 8-byte float = -1.797 693 134 862 315 E308 (/x'FFEFFFFFFFFFFFFF'/)

Date, time and timestamp fields: See Date Data Type, Time Data Type and
Timestamp Data Type for *LOVAL values for date, time, and timestamp data.

Michael

I thought *LOVAL for character fields was x'40404040...' for the
length of the field - it ought to be in the RPG Reference. It might be
x'00000000...' for hex fields.

But then I'm not fully awake, so don't know for sure.

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "Joe Pluta"

From: Pete Helgren