Hi, when I read your initial post, I also considered using a SPECIAL file as Scott suggested.
But, as Scott suggested...

With (relatively) minor changes to your report program...

Well, if I'm not wrong, you CANNOT specify skip/space values in your output lines to SPECIAL files which , normally, are extensively used in output printer O-specs.

IMHO, if that still holds true (which I believe), then you'd have to modify your RPG specs to output your "normal" data to the SPECIAL file, each line along with some info data (e.g. at the end of the line, so you don't have to change all ending positions, similar to what *FCFC holds for skip/space entries when doing a CPYSPLF...), to do whatever you need to do with the data... before really outputting that data with the proper skip/space values to a PRINTER file (from within the same SPECIAL file code).

That, I think, is quite a modification to the original program...

My 2 cents...
Antonio
Sarvapriya_Tripathi@xxxxxxxxx escribió:

Scott, many thanks for all the excellent suggestions. The first suggestion
with SPECIAL files is one that I am investigating right now, and this seems
to fit my requirement exactly. I just read the "Using SPECIAL Files" in
Chapter 18 (Accessing Externally Attached Devices) in ILE RPG Programmer's
Guide to get a better understanding and to see an example.

I have been programming using RPG for about 12 years now, but I must say
that I am constantly surprised by the capabilities provided by the RPG
language. I have never used SPECIAL files before, but it seems amazing that
a feature as powerful as this has existed as part of the core language
itself.