A little wrinkle here:

The compiler seems unhappy with the fact that I have the RENAME

File spec has:

FPMYFILE UF A E K DISK RENAME(FMYFILE:FILE01)

and D Spec has:

DFileNameDS E ds extname(FILE01)

Compiler issues RNX3523:
External description for data structure FILE01 is not
found; data structure is ignored.
Again, the RENAME is there in the F spec because the /Copy member with all the I/O logic uses the generic name FILE01 for file references.

Is there a workaround here or am I at a full stop?

Pete

Pete Helgren wrote:
Cool. WAY simpler than I expected. I stumbled over the two fields. I read them as data structures but I can see how they are just fields. The "like" made me think they WERE DS's.
I'll let you know how it turns out (busy "breaking" the code right now....)

Pete

Booth Martin wrote:
Notice there is only one data structure. The other two fields are just chunks of space. As to pushing your RPG skills, I'm suspecting that after you do it and then look back at it you'll say something like "Huh? That was simpler than I thought!" :)

To answer your questions:
1-Shouldn't be.
2-Yes

I believe you have it all in your head excepting one small piece. Your thinking is correct excepting that since the two holding fields are fields, not data structures, there is no conflict. The FileNameDS does in fact always have the most recently read data values, whether from the original read(n), the screen exfmt, or the locking read. You need to be able to count on that fact to make the process work.