I have a socket server program that accepts ascii data from a client.

After receiving a complete, varying length string, I write it out to the
IFS using a prototyped call to the '_C_IFS_fputs' API.

Everything works fine except that if within my string, a percent sign (%)
exists (ascii hex 25), when written to the IFS a carriage return (hex 0D)
is added preceding the percent sign. I have two percent signs in the
string and both are preceded by the carriage return. (This is causing data
to be prematurely terminated by applications that read from the IFS.)

I've reviewed the source data with a hex editor to ensure that the
carriage return isn't in the source data (and tested this on more than one
input file). There are no carriage returns except for those that are where
they are supposed to be. I've even reviewed the data in the wdsci debugger
using the memory monitor and rendering to ensure the value to be written
to the ifs doesn't contain the rouge carriage return (and it doesn't).

At the moment my source data (testing only) is coming from my pc. That
implies code page 1252. My IFS folders show ccsid 437 (pc ascii) but the
files themselves default to ccsid 37 (unless after the write I do a chgatr
to change it to 437 or 819 - and I've tried both).

I suspect that my RPG program being in EBCDIC (ccsid system value is 37)
is somehow causing this behavior. Or is it the API doing the write to the
IFS?

If so how do I write the data with the proper ccsid or do I need to
'translate' the data somehow before writing it to the IFS?

Or is there something else that might be suspect?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Regards, Jerry

Gerald Kern - MIS Project Leader
Lotus Notes/Domino Administrator
IBM Certified RPG IV Developer
The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
4235 Secor Road
Toledo, OH 43623-4299
Phone 419-479-5535
gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy this and all copies of this message.