Hi Alan,

That's correct. However, you can override that view to another member before using it, just like you can override a physical file before using it. When you override to a member other than the first member in the file, that's the only member that the view sees.

The *FIRST member is normally the first member that was added to the file. However, if you added 4 members, then deleted the first two you added, then the *FIRST member would be the one you added 3rd. Sounds confusing, but it's actually pretty straightforward. If I do

CRTPF FILE(QTEMP/TEST) RCDLEN(1) MBR(*NONE) MAXMBRS(*NOMAX)

ADDPFM FILE(QTEMP/TEST) MBR(GEORGE)
ADDPFM FILE(QTEMP/TEST) MBR(PAUL)
ADDPFM FILE(QTEMP/TEST) MBR(RINGO)
ADDPFM FILE(QTEMP/TEST) MBR(JOHN)
DSPPFM FILE(QTEMP/TEST) MBR(*FIRST) displays member GEORGE.

Now I remove a couple of members:

RMVM FILE(QTEMP/TEST) MBR(GEORGE)

RMVM FILE(QTEMP/TEST) MBR(PAUL)
DSPPFM FILE(QTEMP/TEST) MBR(*FIRST) displays member RINGO.

*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050
pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> /

Alan Shore wrote:
Thanks for your reply Peter
With ALL the testing on this that I've done based upon the suggestions that
I have received (which as always is MUCH appreciated) I'm NOT 100% sure of
my following reply, but I am 95% sure.
Anyway, to answer your question.
The view that gets created only has ONE member, no matter what I tried with
the OVRDBF, and I think (only 75% sure on this) but the view gets created
from the *FIRST member (whatever that is)