Al, I think this paragraph articulates the idea that's been cooking in the back
of everybody's mind (well, a lot of us anyway) and therefore bears repeating
for emphasis (on of the main reasons why users of Systems "i" are so doggedly
stubbornly loyal):

....the whole of IBM that hasn't given RPG developers, their
mainstay on the System i5, what they need to be successful. IBM has most of
their success when they create proprietary and intimately integrated
solutions. That is why we all love RPG/DB2400/i5OS so much right? And that
is one reason why so many started, and have stayed with, the System i5 for
so long - right? RPG developers have life pretty good except for the uphill
non-GUI battle we continually fight. If IBM were to develop a native GUI
that displayed in a proprietary thick client I think it would take off like
wildfire. Note that all of the code would still reside and run on the
server so deployment wouldn't be an issue. Close on the heals of that would
be a browser component that would play the same role (and in all actuality
they would just be downloading IBM's thin client similar to what we all do
with Flash/Flex/JavaFX/etc). [I am going to stop there on my idea's for a
GUI front for brevities sake]

_____And I think you hit it on the head with this one:

IBM could do a lot for application development on the System i5 if they
introduced a native GUI vs. all of this platform independence Java/EGL/WAS
jeeeeunk!

-ALan