From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Wes Palmer
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:52 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Wes Palmer
Subject: Question regarding "=PROPER" Function in POI

I have a question regarding implementation of the Excel function "=PROPER"
using POI. I have successfully applied POI in numerous programs so I can
create spreadsheets that I then e-mail out to users. I have tried, without
success, to implement the Excel function "=PROPER".

The error I receive, upon execution of my program, is "Java exception
received when calling Java method (C G D F)."

Here are the pertinent sections of code. File DB0101 is the A/R Master that
contains names and addresses. The intent of the introduction of the PROPER
function is to include a column of cells that contain the name in mixed case
(where initially the name is stored in all capital letters).

H DEBUG DFTNAME(BA0215) OPTION(*NODEBUGIO) DFTACTGRP(*NO)
BNDDIR('HSSF')
H THREAD(*SERIALIZE)
* USE THE FOLLOWING COMMAND TO CREATE THIS PROGRAM:
* CRTBNDRPG PGM(PRDEXC/BA0215) SRCFILE(PRDSRC/QRPGLESRC)
* DFTACTGRP(*NO) ACTGRP(HFFSR4)
*
FDB0101L IF E K DISK
*
D POS1 S 5U 0
D POS2 S 5U 0
D NUM1 S 5U 0
D NUM2 S 5U 0
D Row# S 5I 0
*
D TabNam S 31A VARYING
D Str S LIKE(jString)
D Str2 S LIKE(jString)
D Str3 S LIKE(jString)
D Book S LIKE(HSSFWorkbook)
D Sheet S LIKE(HSSFSheet)
D row S LIKE(HSSFRow)
D cell S LIKE(HSSFCell)
D outfile S LIKE(jFileOutputStream)
D Left S LIKE(HSSFCellStyle)
D valueChr S 1024A
D Rlacct S 16A
D Rlfrnm S 25A
D Rllsnm S 25A
D Rladdr S 28A
D Rlcity S 13A
D Rlstat S 2A
D Rlzipc S 5A
D Rlactd S 10A
*
D SPRTAB C CONST('SPREADSHEET TAB NAME')
D Apos C CONST(x'7D')
*
D*COPY QSYSINC/QRPGLESRC,JNI
D/COPY QRPGLECPY,HSSF_H
*
C *IN99 DOUEQ *ON
*
C GETRCD TAG
*
C READ DB0101R 99
C *IN99 CABEQ *ON ENDRCD LR
*
C CLEAR POS1
C CLEAR POS2
C SUBNAM IFNE *BLANKS
C EVAL POS1 = %SCAN(',':SUBNAM)
C ENDIF
C POS1 IFEQ 0
C EVAL RLFRNM = SUBNAM
C EVAL RLLSNM = *BLANKS
C GOTO PRCADDR
C ENDIF
C POS1 IFEQ 25
C EVAL RLFRNM = *BLANKS
C EVAL RLLSNM = %SUBST(SUBNAM:1:24)
C GOTO PRCADDR
C ENDIF
C EVAL POS2 = POS1 + 1
C EVAL NUM1 = 26 - POS2
C EVAL NUM2 = POS1 - 1
C EVAL RLFRNM = %TRIM(%SUBST(SUBNAM:POS2:NUM1))
C NUM2 IFNE 0
C EVAL RLLSNM = %TRIM(%SUBST(SUBNAM:1:NUM2))
C ELSE
C EVAL RLLSNM = *BLANKS
C ENDIF
*
C PRCADDR TAG
*
* I have omitted code which would create column headings. The
following code deals with creating from the second row onward.
*
/free
HSSFSheet_setColumnWidth(Sheet:0:16*256);
Row# = Row# + 1;
Row = HSSFSheet_createRow(Sheet:Row#);
Cell = HSSFRow_createCell(Row:0);
Left = HSSFWorkbook_createCellStyle(Book);
HSSFCellStyle_setAlignment(Left:ALIGN_LEFT);
HSSFCell_setCellType(Cell:CELL_TYPE_STRING);
Str2 = new_String(RLACCT);
HSSFCell_setCellValueStr(Cell:Str2);
HSSFCell_setCellStyle(Cell:Left);

... ... ... ...

HSSFSheet_setColumnWidth(Sheet:14:25*256);
Cell = HSSFRow_createCell(Row:14);
HSSFCellStyle_setAlignment(Left:ALIGN_LEFT);
HSSFCell_setCellType(Cell:CELL_TYPE_FORMULA);
valueChr = 'PROPER(' + Apos + %TRIM(RLFRNM) + Apos + ')';
Str2 = new_String(valueChr);
HSSFCell_setCellFormula(Cell:Str2);
HSSFCell_setCellStyle(Cell:Left);

HSSFSheet_setColumnWidth(Sheet:15:25*256);
Cell = HSSFRow_createCell(Row:15);
HSSFCellStyle_setAlignment(Left:ALIGN_LEFT);
HSSFCell_setCellType(Cell:CELL_TYPE_FORMULA);
valueChr = 'PROPER(' + Apos + %TRIM(RLLSNM) + Apos + ')';
Str2 = new_String(valueChr);
HSSFCell_setCellFormula(Cell:Str2);
HSSFCell_setCellStyle(Cell:Left);

/end-free
*
C ENDRCD TAG

The problem occurs on the line which states: "
HSSFCell_setCellFormula(Cell:Str2);".

Can anyone determine why I get the "Java exception received when calling
Java method." error message and what I need to change to allow the code to
run?
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Wes Palmer
Programmer/Analyst