Gene,

If you use SQL function DESCRIBE of the result set into SQLDA (after a
PREPARE) you will receive the length of the VARCHAR in the SQLDA. The
length of a VARCHAR column in SQL is the actual length in bytes. So option
b SQLLEN = %len(varfld) shpuld be SQLLEN = %size(varfld)

You have to assign a pointer to the variable to store the value. You can
use the lenth of that variable.

I always store character columns in a fixed length character variable (32
bytes), no matter whether the column is fixed CHAR or VARCHAR; with VARCHAR
I have to deal with the first two bytes being the length of the value. No
problems with that.

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler