Walt,

I have had a similar experience (albeit not with this tool.) If I recall
correctly, there's an IBM PTF that corrects this problem. I'm not sure
if it requires at least v5r3.

-mark

I downloaded a tool from MC Press called SPLF2TIFF, which contains 4
components: a CLP pgm, an RPG pgm, a WSCST source file and a CMD
source file. The instructions seem simple enough, and I believe I
followed them correctly.

I am not an RPG programmer (COBOL, mainly) but this program is the
only freeware I've seen which uses QSPOPNSP, QSPGETSP, and QSPCLOSP.
The promise of this tool is that it can convert any spooled file to a
TIFF file, even *USERASCII type spool files. According to IBM, these
are the APIs needed to extract the contents of the spool file.

I have read comments from two users who say the tool "works great", so
I have hope that it allows me to convert *USERASCII to, eventually,
PDF (TIFF to PDF is not complicated, from what I have seen).

For me, well, I get junk. The command executes and does create a TIFF
file, but when I open it all I see is a blank page with a horizontal
line in the middle. There are no obvious messages that indicate some
problem with the process, and there are error handlers in the program
if it cannot complete each step of the process. None of those are
invoked.

Does anybody have any experience with this tool? I'd be grateful for
some guidance as to why it does not "work great" for me. By the way,
we are a V5R2 box.

Walt Bennett
Astec Systems, Inc.
wbennettjr@xxxxxxxxx