Von: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Im
Auftrag von Barbara Morris
Gesendet: Friday, May 25, 2007 21:05
An: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: Long DB2 Column Names from RPG

albartell wrote:
On an airplane coming back from RPGWorld right now. As I am doing
some offline WDSC DDS PF creation I thought of Barbara's comments
awhile back concerning the most popular feature in an RPG survey a few
years ago (i.e. %trim enhancements). That got me thinking... man I
sure would like to be able to use long file field names in RPG. The
10 char limitation is getting really old and I was just wondering if
anybody knew if we would be able to use SQL named fields or fields
created/named with the ALIAS keyword anytime in the near future. That
would be on my top 10 list of things I want to see in RPG this coming
year.

Aaron, there probably won't be ALIAS support in the near future. The
reason that ALIAS names aren't currently supported for
externally-described files is because of the generated I and O specs
which only have room for 14-character names. Free-form I and O specs or
a major kludge in the compiler would be required to support 30 character
names. Nothing is impossible, but it's not on the horizon.

Now that RPG supports data-structure I/O for externally-described files,
it's feasible to avoid generating the I and O specs for a file, which
would avoid the 14-character problem and allow ALIAS to be supported for
the file. (Although presumably you'd only see the field names if you
defined a DS using LIKEREC.)

There's no current impediment to supporting ALIAS names for
externally-described data structures, but even that's not likely for the
near future, unfortunately.

A Pollyanna thought: Whenever the 10 character limit gets you down, just
think back to the old 6-character limit. To me, 6 seemed much more
restrictive compared to 10, than 10 now seems compared to 30.