Hi Ewart,
usually you connect a barcode reader via WEDGE interface to your keyboard
(or via separate USB connector or whatever).
Then you position the cursor on an input field in your display file and
scan something.
The data from the barcode will then be inserted in the field as if you had
typed it from hand on the keyboard.

Portable Terminals (like the lxe mx7 devices we use
http://www.lxe.com/us/products/handheld.aspx?id=1051) function the same
way, except that the barcode reader is built in.
You have a terminalsession open on the device an when you scan something,
the barcodetext is "typed" to the current input field.

Our stationary time control terminals use a similar technique.
The open a session on the as400 and run a program that processes the
scanned data from "stdin".
There are other terminals, that send the data via tcp/ip to daemons to the
as400 so that batchjobs can process the data.

In the end, how you process the scanned data depends on the reader you
use.

I hope that was the information you wanted :)

- Martin

--

Hello All,

I'm sure there must be many of you using the bar code reader & a swipe
card reader (to clock IN & OUT) on the iSeries. Well this is the first
time I have an opportunity & I would like some help. Could any of you
point me to the right direction or rather where I could find some
information/examples in terms of connectivity of the bar code reader to
the iSeries & processing the same using RPG.

Thank you very much for the same
Ewart