Ok, so Scott you got me incredibly curious with all that x desktop stuff and
here is what I found:
http://www.lartob.de/x-desktop.org/releases/r1/index.html (funny enough
that it some features only work in FF - others were bombing out on IE for
me).

All I can say is that is CRAZY COOL! From everything I could tell they
didn't load ANY plugins, but it feels a lot like a desktop!

Go here for the base technology page: http://x-desktop.org/

I couldn't resist seeing this run on a System i5 so I loaded it on mine
here: http://bartell.stproc.com:9000/. Not that it is that special to be
running on an iSeries because really all the base install includes is HTML
and Javascript.

The big bummer: Looks like it hasn't been touched since 2004 so I would
consider it dead :-(

Java programs running natively on i5/OS have the same capability... they
can run on the '400 and write to the display on my PC.

Anybody have an example of this? I have heard of NAWT but haven't ever
tried it.

then communicate with it via sockets (or similar) to tell it which APIs to
call from my RPG program. Not easy by any stretch.

Sounds like Joe Pluta's Java JSP thin layer to RPG for web apps concept
could be used here. Instead of having Java you could have a C program
communicating with a data queue, sending requests back and forth. Do they
have a GUI designer for these X terminal type apps or do you have to build
them from scratch with x and y coordinates?

Of course, I could call the Java routines directly from RPG using RPG's
support for calling Java methods -- I've been thinking about doing that, but
haven't tried it yet. The overhead of Java always frustrates me.

Have you tried putting a data queue layer in between your RPG and Java. It
can get fairly performant with that approach as the Java classes are only
loaded once. That is what I did in my RPG Chart Engine open source project:
http://mowyourlawn.com/RPGChartEngine.html

P.s. rockin' out to http://www.purevolume.com/thefold this mornin.

Interesting thoughts,
Aaron Bartell