Ruthirapathi, Arulanandham wrote:
5. RPG/COBOL/C (Ruthirapathi, Arulanandham)

Where does COBOL and C stands when compare to RPG. I see more
discussions on RPG. Do you think we need to suggest our clients to
convert from COBOL to RPG?

Depending on what kinds of programs are being written, a move from C to COBOL or RPG (or vice versa) might be appropriate.

Likewise, choosing to code a particular function in COBOL over RPG (or vice versa) can make sense -- I've possibly written more COBOL programs in the past five years than RPG, but that's mostly because I had to write a large set of programs at one that had the same structure; they were all little more than a MOVE CORRESPONDING to convert a record format into USAGE DISPLAY fields followed by a STRING statement to create a formatted string that was converted straight to ASCII. In COBOL at that time, the sequence was clean and obvious; still is now. And the COBOL of today is _not_ the COBOL I learned some decades back.

The question as it relates to the number of discussions was answered very well (by Jon Paris, IIRC) on the COBOL list a number of months ago. There are a _lot_ of forums all over the internet for C and COBOL. There is much less need to find the lists here.

But the number of RPG lists is very limited in comparison. We see more traffic in RPG here because (1) there aren't as many other places to go, as well as (2) it's a more common language on our chosen platform.

Tom Liotta