Keeping in mind that you said a "data" library. Also keep in mind that
you are going to access a file that is in that library to validate the
company number.

CHKOBJ on the object itself is one method. If you prompt it, move your
cursor to the title line and press F1 you can see what messages you can
monitor for. Anything from library doesn't exist to file doesn't exist,
etc. I'd check for the end file you are looking for.

Another method is to open the desired file manually
FDataFile IF E disk USROPN EXTFILE(TheName)
D TheName s 21a varying
/free
TheName=%trimr(library + '/' + File); // library came from prompt
screen
monitor;
Open DataFile;
on-error xxxxx; // replace xxxxx with the error code for library
doesn't exist
// see file/exception handling in the rpg reference and/or program
guide
EndMon;

Another method
/free
x=0;
execsql select count(*) into :x
from qsys2/syscolumns
where system_column_name=:fieldName
and system_table_name=:FileName
and system_schema_name=:Library;
If x=0;
// column :fieldName from table :FileName is not in library :Library
EndIf;

Rob Berendt