We use TAATOOLS to do this all the time, for an OnDemand (RDARS)
application.
See code snippets below.

/* Retrieve the spools user data */
TAATOOL/RTVSPLFA SPLF(&FILE) JOB(&JOBNBR/&USER/&JOB) +
SPLNBR(&SPLNBR) FORMTYPE(&FORMTYPE) +
USRDTA(&USRDTA)

/* Save the user data so we can reset it after we do the CDSTORE */
CHGVAR VAR(&SAVUSRDTA) VALUE(&USRDTA)

... More stuff

/* Change user data to represent the hospital number */
CHGSPLFA FILE(&FILE) JOB(&JOBNBR/&USER/&JOB) +
SPLNBR(&SPLNBR) +
USRDTA(&USRDTA)

Bob Schwartz
Southeast Georgia Health System

message: 1
date: Tue, 15 May 2007 08:46:46 -0500
from: "Turnidge, Dave" <DTurnidge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Spool file object

What are you trying to accomplish by changing the USER portion?