Agreed.

I've got about 25 years with RPG. The cycle is not scary or difficult.
It can save some lines of code (break handling), but it also limits
you're options which might be a problem later on. Having rewritten a
number of my own cycle programs into full procedurals, it would be
highly unlikely (never) that I would write another one. This was many
years ago.

Most quick and dirty tasks of the type JHHL was referring to can be done
with SQL. I would expect today's RPG programmers to know some SQL and
the cycle only if it's used in the shop.

These threads about how great the cycle is or justifying ILE to the
boss, just amaze me. They are anachronistic.

Keith

Holden Tommy wrote:
No you're not the only one. But if major changes are required to the
antiquated code...i will rewrite it (especially if it's s/36 code!!!)
...for simple changes...i'll just modify the existing code and let it
ride. But if I'm writing new code, there no way in Hades to get me to
write using the cycle (unless it's the stuff I mentioned earlier quick &
very dirty...)