Think about it. If you are using CLI, then you are using SQL.

SQL is part of the base operating system. It's been there since V1Rx.
The interactive (STRSQL) and development (SQLRPG, SQLRPGLE) tools are
not. You can distribute a SQLRPG program to any system (observing the
usual release level requirements).

You could write a simple wrapper program to execute an ad hoc SQL
statement (excluding select) on any system. Here's an SQLRPG example.
Only 5 lines !!

C *ENTRY PLIST
C PARM STMT 256
C/EXEC SQL EXECUTE IMMEDIATE :STMT
C/END-EXEC
C SETON LR

James H. H. Lampert wrote:

And yes, I do use SQL. In fact, I had to learn how to use
it through the CLI, because I use it in a commercial
product that generates it on the fly, and that can't
expect anything to be present beyond the base operating
system. And I've even gone to Rochester for the SQL
optimization class. But it's not something I use every
day, and it's not something I normally use for anything
other than getting data out of a file.