From: Buck

To Joe, you know I deeply respect your views on many things. You are
completely correct in saying that we _should_ be able to disable the
back button. No matter how beautiful and right that concept is, it
simply does not exist in the wild where we have to write applications
today. So we are forced to write browser based applications knowing
that a user can and will navigate backward a page. In my case anyway,
it has nothing to do with being blinded by technology: there is no
alternative.

I didn't realize we were in RPG. Oops.

There IS an alternative, which is to serialize the pages. That's what my
PSC product does (to keep this tangentially RPG-related). I put out a
timestamp on every page and if I don't get that stamp back, I put the page
out again. I like Rory's version as well, it has some additional merit.

The argument started up when Walden said such designs were not web-like,
implying they were bad. My point is that it's the browser that is
under-functional, and that the requirement (to force a linear path through
an application) is, was and always will be necessary. Not all the time,
mind you, but sometimes. And the fact that the browser doesn't support it
means the browser is indeed a dull knife.

Joe