You can only concatenate ("||") character fields. The two fields are both
numeric.
Try the following (even though it looks NOT like what I described)
select dec(customer_month) || '-' || dec(customer_day) as "Date" from
iso.customer;

Alan Shore

NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019
AShore@xxxxxxxx
"If you're going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill