From: rpg400-l-bounces+wiltc=cintas.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces+wiltc=cintas.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bob Cozzi
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 11:04 AM
To: 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: Creating a flat file

I agree and understand David's structure and I think he's done a great job.
That's why about 2 years ago I folded my own list on eGroups.com (now Yahoo
groups) and asked people to move over to one of David's lists.

The problem is one of perception by the community.
There is only Midrange-L and RPG400-L in most subscriber's minds; those are the
two primary lists. In
practice, one is for general banter, while the other is for programming. And
yet, by design, one is
for general iSeries programming and the other for RPG-specific topics.
Is this a good design considering that 98% of the market only uses RPG IV for
development? So what do
you post in Midrange-L? CL questions? I'm not sure, so Midrange-L ends up with
banter and some CL
questions while RPG400-L ends up with RPG and non-RPG programming questions.

Sure we need separate C, CL, COBOL lists. But since 'everybody' uses RPG on
iSeries, I think we need
to have a programming list that includes general iSeries programming questions
(RPG IV, RPGII, CL,
DDS) and other lists for those other languages, and then we need a real banter
list that we can
unsubscribe from.
That is, Midrange-L should not be a banter list or if it is, fine, but create
an application developer
list for programming questions that includes CL, DDS and RPG. And tolerate
CGI/Web questions that
relate to general programming on iSeries.

Hey, this ain't life threatening so if it stays as is, life will go on.

-BOB

http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.

This e-mail transmission contains information that is intended to be
confidential and privileged.  If you receive this e-mail and you are not a
named addressee you are hereby notified that you are not authorized to read,
print, retain, copy or disseminate this communication without the consent of
the sender and that doing so is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Please reply
to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was
misdirected.  After replying, please delete and otherwise erase it and any
attachments from your computer system.  Your assistance in correcting this
error is appreciated.