From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Barbara Morris
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:55 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: CHAIN Versus SETLL and READ When Data Needed

Shannon O'Donnell wrote:
              Key1    Klist
                          Kfld              Fld1
                          Kfld              Fld2
                          Kfld              Fld3
              Key2     Klist
                          Kfld              Fld1
                          Kfld              Fld2

CHAIN does seem better if you are always going use the data from a found

record.  But don't take my opinion too seriously because I'm not expert
in the database; maybe there are scenarios (such as sparse keys) where
SETLL is faster than CHAIN (or vice versa) when the record is not found.

  (Although a later post in this thread quotes from the manual saying
that sometimes a CHAIN is faster than a SETLL with sparse keys ...)

Aside from the CHAIN vs SETLL issue, you can improve your key lists by
using a key data structure, and then using %KDS(keyds:3) or 2 or 1.  (It

would be more self-documenting than the KLISTs, even aside from your
somewhat devious use of Key1 as the name for the 3-key klist and Key3 as

the name for the 1-key klist :)  You could use a list of keyfields like
Dennis suggested; but I think the keyds is _slightly_ better than a list

of keyfields _in this case_, since it's a bit easier to see that the
same key ds is being used for each CHAIN in the group (only one name to
check vs a list of 3 names or values).

D keyds         e ds        extname(file:*key)
  /free
    keyds.fld1 = something;
    keyds.fld2 = somethingelse;
    keyds.fld3 = whatever;