From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Knezevic, Mihael
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:00 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Performance and %open

hello,

i'm currently writing a serviceprogram which should be used for
interactive and batch programs and i'm wondering how to code the opening
and closing of the files. my concept was as following:

procOpenFiles() - opens files if they are not allready open
procCloseFiles() - closes files if they have been open by
procOpenFiles()
procSomething() - checks if the files have been opened with %open and do
some calculations

in a batch program i would call procOpenFiles() at the start and
procCloseFiles() at the end and call procSomething a couple of thousand
times. procSomething would check at the start if the files have been
opened and if not open them and close them at the end of the proc. in an
interactive program i would call procSomething only without the other
two procedures. but how does %open impact performance if it has to check
for 10 or 20 files in batch a couple of thousand times? or would it be
better to code a batch and a non-batch procedure?

any ideas?

thanx in advance

mihael knezevic