Hello All,

Thanks for all your responses. I have gone through quite a few articles by
most of the high profile authors which included options of using User
Space & QSORT. This application does not require such 'heavy' programming
which is why I decided to go with the simplest - SORTA.

I have used the suggestion by Jon only in a different way - not sure if it
is the right way but it seems to work. The numeric fields are basically
document numbers & will never be signed.

     D wItmDtlDS       DS                  Inz
     D wItmDtl                             Dim(250)
     D  wwbcd                         3a   Overlay(wItmDtl)
     D  wwccd                         2a   Overlay(wItmDtl:*NEXT)
     D  wjtce                         1a   Overlay(wItmDtl:*NEXT)
     D  walnb                         6s 0 Overlay(wItmDtl:*NEXT)
     D  wbdnb                         3s 0 Overlay(wItmDtl:*NEXT)
     D  waonb                         4s 0 Overlay(wItmDtl:*NEXT)
     D  watnb                         3s 0 Overlay(wItmDtl:*NEXT)
     D  wgncd                         4a   Overlay(wItmDtl:*NEXT)
     D  wexpc                         4s 2 Overlay(wItmDtl:*NEXT)
     D  wpvat                         1a   Overlay(wItmDtl:*NEXT)
     D  wSortFld                     22a   Overlay(wItmDtl)

Thanks again.
Ewart

This e-mail is confidential and it is intended only for the addressees.
Any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, kindly notify us immediately by
telephone or e-mail and delete the message from your system. The sender
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of
this message which may arise as a result of the e-mail transmission.

"Jon Paris" <Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/15/2007 08:54 PM
Please respond to

<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Sorting an array on multiple keys using SORTA

I would like to sort the following array on the first 7 fields i.e.
from
WWBCD through WATNNB. Is it possible using SORTA ???

Yes - it should be work with a group field.  The following example
verifies
so it should compile etc. but I have no time to test it.

If you have this kind of requirement on an regular basis I would take the
time to learn qsort if I were you.  There are limits to what groups fields
can do with Sorta.

This is what it should look like:

D wItmDtlDS       DS                  Inz
D wItmDtl                             Dim(250)
D  first7                             Overlay(wItmDtl)
D    wwbcd                       3a   Overlay(first7)
D    wwccd                       2a   Overlay(first7:*NEXT)
D    wjtce                       1a   Overlay(first7:*NEXT)
D    walnb                       6s 0 Overlay(first7:*NEXT)
D    wbdnb                       3s 0 Overlay(first7:*NEXT)
D    waonb                       4s 0 Overlay(first7:*NEXT)
D    watnb                       3s 0 Overlay(first7:*NEXT)
D  wgncd                         4a   Overlay(wItmDtl:*NEXT)
D  wexpc                         4s 2 Overlay(wItmDtl:*NEXT)
D  wpvat                         1a   Overlay(wItmDtl:*NEXT)

/Free
sorta first7;  // Sort first seven fields

sorta waonb;   // Just sort one within the group of 7 (Canadian
reference!)

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com