    Hi Scott,

    Now all work fine , thanks a  lot for your support

   Basilio

   -----Original Message-----
   From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
   On Behalf Of Scott Klement
   Sent: venerdANOT 9 febbraio 2007 20.26
   To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
   Subject: Re: itext prototype

   Hi Basilio,

   The error you posted is "java.lang.NoSuchMethodError":  This error is

   not related to the classpath.  If this had been a classpath error, it

   would've complained that it couldn't find a class definition -- but

   that's not the case here, here it says it can't find a method.

   Java searches the class (which it has already found) to find the method.

   In order for it to find it, two different criteria have to match, the

   method name ("add" in this situation) and the method's

   signature('(Lcom.lowagie.text.Paragraph;)V" in this situation.  Both

   have to match, or it will give you the NoSuchMethodError that you've

   posted to this mailing list.

   Now, I'm not completely familiar with iText, so I ran a quick Google

   search for the Javadocs for the com.lowagie.text.Document class.  I

   found them at the following link, but I have no idea if that's the same

   version that you're using:

   http://www.docjar.com/docs/api/com/lowagie/text/Document.html

   Although those Javadocs do mention an "add" method, there's no add

   method that matches your signature.  The signature is derived from the

   parameter types and return values.  Your prototype is looking for a

   method that accepts an Paragraph object as a parameter, and returns

   nothing (void).  However, the Javadocs reference an Add method that

   accepts any object that implements the Element interface, and returns a

   boolean value.   So it makes perfect sense that you'd receive the error

   you're receiving.

   Instead, try something like this:

    D ITXTElement      S               O   CLASS(*JAVA

    D                                     :'com.lowagie.text.Element')

    D AddParagraphToDocument...

    D                 PR              1N  ExtProc(*JAVA:

    D                                     'com.lowagie.text.Document':

    D                                     'add')

    D   peParagraph                       like(ITXTElement)

   When you call the method, you can still pass a Paragraph to it (as you

   were already doing) since Paragraph's implement the Element interface.

   So they're compatible with Elements.  But the prototype must reference

   the Eleemnt, not the Paragraph, or the signature will be wrong.

   Hope that helps.

   Basilio Merlino wrote:

   >  I'm having trouble creating a prototype for the following java code:

   >  document.add(new Paragraph("Hello World") );

   >  Here's what I have so far:

   >  D jFileOutputStream...

   >  D                 S               O   CLASS(*JAVA

   >  D                                     :'java.io.FileOutputStream')

   >  D Document        S               O   CLASS(*JAVA

   >  D                                     :'com.lowagie.text.Document')

   >  D ITXTParagraph   S               O   CLASS(*JAVA

   >  D                                     :'com.lowagie.text.Paragraph')

   >  D AddParagraphToDocument...

   >  D                 PR                  ExtProc(*JAVA:

   >  D                                     'com.lowagie.text.Document':

   >  D                                     'add')

   >  D   peParagraph                       like(ITXTParagraph)

   >  D PdfDocument      S                   LIKE(Document)

   >  D writerFile       S                   LIKE(jFileOutputStream)

   >  D ThisWriter       S                   LIKE(PdfWriter)

   >  D paragraph        S                   LIKE(ITXTParagraph)

   >   /free

   >    // Document is created without errors (PdfDocument)

   >    // file output stream is created without errors (writerFile)

   >   // Paraghraph is created without errors (paragraph)

   >   AddParagraphToDocument(Document:Paragraph);

   >   /End-free

   >  The error I get is: Message . . . . :   Java exception received when
   calling Java method.

   >  Cause . . . . . :   ....Java exception "java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
   add" when calling

   >    method "add" with signature "(Lcom.lowagie.text.Paragraph;)V" in
   class

   >    "com.lowagie.text.Document".

   >  I've  checked everything and the spelling and capitalization is

   >  correct for the prototype.

   >  The jar file resides at /QIBM/UserData/Java400/ext, so this shouldn't
   be