Rick.Chevalier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Time and resources, which translates to money.

To make it worse everything is RPT with numerous
copy books.

I've got a ton of RPG II programs in a package the company purchased long ago. Moving II to IV (with a short stop over at III) isn't something that I normally do for the same reasons: Time and resources (i.e., the company won't pop for one of the translators). When I do, though, it only takes about 20-30 seconds to convert the /copy books; actually the easiest part. And, when the file is externally described (I do that as a matter-of-course when making changes, pretty easy and fast), I trash the /copy books entirely. Unfortunately, since the base package came from the /36, there are a lot of group files (A. - why did every vendor use 'A.' for its group prefix?) so, even after externally defining them in the program, I still have to use overrides to re-compile.

Yeah, it can be time consuming sometimes. But it can have payoffs. Example: I took a II program to IV late last year. Went a step further and changed the ADD's to EVAL's. During testing found out that one of the result fields was too small. ADD will just drop the extra left-hand digit; EVAL barfs big time.

        * Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i5/iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.995.7024
fax