I didn't actually work on this, but I think what we used to do was to
"print" the PCL code to a spool file, which when sent to the printer, it
would handle it.  Some old code I found:

      * Font
     D Micr            C
Const('~**1M~(8M~(s0p8h10v0s0b100T')
     D EndMicr         C                   Const('~**0M')
       * Spacing
     D Fixed           C                   Const('~(s0P')
     D Proportional    C                   Const('~(s1P')
      * Pointsize
     D PointSize12     C                   Const('~(s12V')
      * StrokeWeight
     D MediumWght      C                   Const('~(s0B')
     D Bold            C                   Const('~(s3B')
      * Line spacing
     D HalfLine        C                   Const('~=')

     D MicrCode        S             40A

     C                   Eval      MicrCode = 'C' +
     C                                        %Trim(%Editc(PrtCheck#:'X')) +
     C                                        'C' + ' ' +
     C                                        'A' +
     C                                         WrkABA#     +
     C                                        'A' + ' ' +
     C                                         WrkAcct#1   +
     C                                        'D' +
     C                                         WrkAcct#2   +
     C                                        'C'

      *...Micr code at bottom of check
     O          E            PrtCheck       0
     O                       Proportional      +  0
     O                       Pointsize12       +  0
     O                       Bold              +  0
     O                       Micr              +  0
     O                       HalfLine          +  0
     O               32      HalfLine          +  0

     O          E            PrtCheck         61
     O                       MicrCode          + 12

     O          E            PrtCheck       0
     O                       EndMicr           +  0

(Note: You have to be careful if you're going to print this type of source
code on a PCL printer - it can sometimes read the text and try to format it)
Eventually we changed course and went with ACOM Solutions - eForms, so this
code is no longer in place.  HTH.
Carmen