On 1/10/07, Rory Hewitt <roryhewitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Steve,

OutMbr is declared as varying because...er...it was code I copied form
elsewhere. But I've tried it again with a non-varying OutMbr and still the
same error occurs.

I guessed it was the problem with the input = output. In fact, Bruce
Vining's example (in the archive thread I referred t in one of my previous
emails) used a temporary source member in QTEMP as the output. The trouble
is, if, for instance, I create a temporary source member in QTEMP, copy the
source into there and then specify *that* as the output member, won't that
mean that the *MODULE object will show that it was compiled from QTEMP
rather than from the real source library? I'd really rather have it showing
that it was compiled form the source library, so it's easier to
cross-reference it.

Rory,

It all works out in the end ;)  The purpose of the preprocessor apis
is to establish a chain from the srcmbr used on the crtrpgmod command
back to the original srcmbr spcfd on the CRT command issued by the
user.  The common example being the SQL preprocessor.  The CRTRPGMOD
command follows that chain back to the original srcmbr and plugs the
name of that srcmbr into the "created from" attribute of the module.

here are two threads with more info:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc/browse_frm/thread/c943eb98828d382/7d72391b69ee2480?lnk=gst&q=qbnstartpreprocessor&rnum=1&hl=en#7d72391b69ee2480

note in the response from the IBM support person that the associated
space APIs are not recommended. I did not believe him and went on to
find out that "not recommended" means they dont work. ;)

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc/browse_frm/thread/5f966a3e0a08a55f/88dc8df78da0e46c?lnk=gst&q=qbnstartpreprocessor&rnum=2&hl=en#88dc8df78da0e46c

-Steve