Scott,

1. The ability, when using DBGVIEW(*SOURCE) to override the debugger and
tell it where the source *really* is - this is a huge hassle if a source
library has changed its name.

In today's environment, where we're constantly stepping from one program
object into another program or srvice program object, it seems like
there'd be much more than one member to specify.

Perhaps this feature woudl be better suited to the screen where it shows
the list of modules (in green screen, the "F14 screen") rather than on the
STRDBG command directly?

Ideally the option to override would come up when the message appears saying
that the library/file/member can't be found (after taking option 5 against a
module or when the first source vierw screen appears). I beleive this might
already be possible if you write your own debugger using these API's (
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/qb3amf00/CCONTENTS#1.20),
but I'm not going to go to all that trouble right now.

2. The ability to use DBGVIEW(*LIST) and include an *encrypted* copy of
the
source in the *PGM object. That way, you get the best of both worlds -
the
source stays with the object, but it's not available to the end user
without
a password.

Interesting idea. I'm surprised you haven't written a utility that does
this yet, Rory!

I *think* the Program Associated Space (
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QB3AMV00/1.3) is
something that could be used for this purpose - it does say the following
"The format of this data is specified by the user. This data will be copied
into an ILE bound program or ILE service program and is available for use
when the program is running.", so potentially you could make the program
DBGVIEW(*NONE) and also put an encrypted version of the source in the
associated space and then subsequently (when you want to debug the program)
use the QbnRetrieveAssociatedSpace API to retrieve/decrypt the source and
put it into the source member specified for the module. The
QbnRetrieveAssociatedSpace API says it should only be used by a
preprocessor, but I don't see why it couldn't be used for this purpose...

Hmmm.....

Rory