On 1/9/07, Scott Klement <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've got a 32x1000 array that I want to overlay on a 82x3903
array.  (The
> former is a collection of data from a DMPSYSOBJ, and the latter is a
more
> readable representation, since the entries in the dump are 82 bytes
long.)

I'm not sure that I understand what you're trying to accomplish. Your
first array is 32000 bytes long.  The second array is 320046 bytes -- more
than 10 times the size of the first one -- so I'm a bit confused.  How do
you want the array elements to overlap each other?

Actually the first array is 320,000 bytes long; I should have said it was
32x10000.  Sorry for the confusion on that.

Thanks to your help, I now have:
    d                 ds
    d  Dump32                 1 320064    Dim( 10002 )
    d  Dump82                17 320062    Dim( 3903 )
... and this works for my needs.

Regarding the 65535 limit -- that's ONLY a limit on character strings.

<snip>
The named data structure was my hangup, thinking that I had to use the
OVERLAY keyword to accomplish what I wanted with such a large array, and
thinking that I was limited to 99999 on the from-to positions.  Obviously, I
was not familiar with that part of the D spec.

Thanks for all the other explanations, too, Scott.

- Dan