Paul:

What I have is a month-end report that I need to generate for one of our
clients.  They want a rolling-24-month history of accounts listed here,
including accounts listed, amount collected, our commission, by month.  Of
course, there aren't always guaranteed figures for any column for a given
month.  So, I have been manually updating a file to contain the list of
months to produce the report for.  This way I can use the "months" file as
the primary file in a join, all other files connected via a left join.  In
this way I am guaranteed a record for each month, even if there is no actual
data for that month.  We don't want the report to show Jan/Feb/Mar/May,
skipping April...just show April with $0.00 in whatever fields.  The report
is actually a file, downloaded as an XLS spreadsheet.

So, I'm trying to find an easy way to generate the "months" file on the fly,
given a start or end date.  If SQL isn't the best tool for the job, that's
fine...I'm just trying to see if there is a reasonable way to use it for
this.

I'm going to check out Rob's suggestion to see if that will fly.  If not, I
already have a Plan B ready.  Thanks for any help you can offer, even if
that help is "use the right tool!"

--Bruce Guetzkow