Thanks for the great examples.  I will be trying them all.

We also use a tool (Coolspools) to create pdf/html/whatever from spool
files.  The new system will basically allow the existing report program to
be called from either greenscreen or browser, change the access method to
sql and send the report back to the user either via the printer he selected
or via html or pdf.  Almost no changes required to the original program to
do it.  Trying to make it a "fill in the blanks" kind of conversion so we
can use the same code a few hundred times.

Would like to write it directly from the spool file to the web if I had a
tool.  Will look into it with our tool provider to see if they have
suggestions.

If any of you are unhappy with your spool to pdf/html/excel
converter/emailer, we've been happy with this one and the support has been
great.  Works with generated sql statements also.

As a 30 year rpg developer who is just making the transition to the web,
your help is invaluable.  Many thanks.

Jim

message: 7
date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:03:12 -0600 (CST)
from: Scott Klement <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: reading pdf/html from ifs send via cgidev2

Howdy Mr. History Channel,

Need some assistance on the retrieve from the ifs and send back vis cgi
part.

I don't understand.  What's the point of writing the data to the IFS, if
only to read it back and write it to the browser?   why not write it to
the browser in the first place?

Any examples of doing this out there?

Lots of examples of writing HTML... PDF is harder to find.

------------------------------

message: 8
date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:11:36 -0500
from: "Jim Franz" <jfranz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: reading pdf/html from ifs send via cgidev2

I cannot give a cgidev example, but using Websmart (a generated rpgle "cgi")

have been doing this for many years. I use a spooled file to pdf tool called

SPLAMATIC that works great. If using other tools, check if supports various
spooled file types supported(*scs *afpds). Places the pdf in the ifs
directory you specify. I create a url like /directory/user/p061228151202.pdf

(unique file name from "p" + yymmddhhmmss) and then redirect to that url.
User's browser sees it as .pdf and called the Adobe Reader to open. Have had

major problems with Adobe Reader and/or browser (IE, Netscape, etc
recognizing if or when to open the page within the browser rather than
and uncheck the default to load within the current window. If within the
browser and version & updates not matching in Adobe to browser may get blank

page, or "back" button not correct. Adobe says it's MS fault and MS says it
is Adobe's fault. This is not a server issue. Most updates from Adobe resets

the default property and needs to be unchecked again.
jim franz