From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of James H H Lampert
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 5:56 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Cycle programs and control level breaks

"Paul Raulerson" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You might want to be careful about being so adamant...
for example, just TRY to use 'the cycle" in a VA/RPG
application. It's real RPG, it's an IBM product - and it
does not even HAVE the cycle in it. Even when running
report programs that use iSeries data.

Then I would argue that it is RPG in name only. Just as
the various QBASICs, TrueBASICs MacBASICs and Visual
BASICs are BASIC in name only. Just as they are most
definitely NOT real BASIC (they are in fact something that
transcends BASIC and begins to resemble PL/I), VA/RPG, if
it lacks The Cycle, is most definitely NOT RPG, because
The Cycle is one of a very small handful of
characteristics that DEFINE RPG.

If you take the wheels off a car, is it still a car?

--
JHHL