Thanks everyone

The rtvjoba concept seems straight forward and interesting.

RTVJOBA    JOB(&XXJOB) USER(&XXUSER) NBR(&XXNBR) TYPE(&XXTYPE)

I could use the type, but since the program also submits itself to run from
batch, it would take another parameter to differentiate when it came off the
queue, did it start from a browser or a workstation

Anyone know what a typical "job" parameter would come back as (if cgi), and
can the above 4 parameters be used to resolve the ws vs browser(cgi) issue?

I can't check for qpadev because we do use some named workstations.

I'm a newbie to cgi but need to create a generic model for converting old
report programs to sql and deliver the results via Print/html/pdf

When requested from cgi, the return could be print to a printer (in batch)
or html or pdf interactively (or batch too if it would work, can a submitted
job return data to a browser?)

When requested from a ws, the printout would be returned in batch.

Does this sequence of events make sense?
   Call program via ws or browser
        Test where called from browser or ws
                If browser cgi request
                        Parse