Hi Michael,

If you're not using *IN for any logic in your RPG, why not use them for the display and printer files? And if you are going to use them for the display & printer files, then it's good practice to name them by using a based data structure as described.

The INDARA/INDDS keywords simply give you another set of indicators, so that you can use the *IN indicators for logic within your RPG program. If you're not using the *IN indicators for that, then why not use them for the display & printer files?

Wait, wait I think I can answer that -- if you have a display file and perhaps multiple printer files, you might want separate indicator data structures for each one, not just have them all using indicators from the common pool of *IN indicators.

However, performance-wise no one's going to notice. And storage-wise, each indicator data structure is only 99 bytes.

*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050
pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> /

Michael Ryan wrote:
Hmm...why is this simpler than INDARA? I only use numeric indicators with
display files and printer files and that's where INDARA/INDDS is used. I
wouldn't use a numeric indicator anyplace else - I would use a Named
Indicator.

What am I missing? Why would one use an *IN indicator outside of
display/printer files?